Crossing through Melutopia

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it" George Bernard Shaw

Today, like everyday, I read the papers, and come across this:

"White nationalist groups involved in the Cronulla riots have predicted further racial violence, naming the Melbourne suburbs of Heidelberg, Preston, Reservoir and Springvale as potential "hot spots".

I don't believe I really bought into the terrorist threat stuff. I'm not afraid to fly, and i'm definitely not afraid of Muslims. I did teaching rounds in a school with a large Muslim population (prob. 80%) and I learned so much about the culture and grew to appreciate it and its intracacies. Every now and then I am reminded that we only fear what we do not understand, so I try and learn about whatever it is I fear and work my way through it (barring spiders- creepy motherfuckers)

But this "nationalistic" "patriotic" red necked stuff really creeps me out. In fact, it downright upsets me. There's something about it that I cannot shake.

I know there are two sides to every story, and i've followed with interest the arguments between the warring groups in Cronulla. But both warring groups (I say groups, and I mean the select groups of violent people, not the cultural groups on the whole) are in the wrong. Clearly in the wrong. "You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it." Malcolm X (1925 - 1965)

Heidelberg is where I plan to move. Preston and Reservoir have been stamping grounds of sorts as I worked in that area for 8 years. I love these areas and all the goodies they offer. I have never felt fear in these suburbs. And if they were taken over by this brutal violence, I think I would actually cry.

This era of conservatism is upsetting. And I don't understand how I, a progressive who believes in social harmony, tolerance and acceptance, can feel like I am in a minority. Which is how I feel atm. I always said that with the next few generations we will see the eradication of racism, sexism, homophobia etc but that day now seems so much further away.

"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority. The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority." Ralph W. Sockman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home